Friday, February 2, 2018

Minored in Technical Writing, But Majoring in Teaching

Minoring in Technical Writing is one of the things that caught the dean’s eye when she was interviewing me to be an English professor at Collin College.  It was (and still is) my endeavor to be a Creative Writing professor.  Now, I know those classes go to full-time professors, and it may be awhile before I can teach one of those classes.

Here is the funny thing… I never thought about teaching Tech Writing.  I enjoy creating, designing, and revising documents of all types, but I never had the desire to teach others how to do it.  I have shown a few people some techniques I use, but I never set my mind to be a TECHNICAL WRITING professor.  It never entered my mind.  Looking back, I see that I had a narrow view of who I could be as a successful professor.  – I thought I would only be happy if I was teaching Creative Writing.

I teach Tech Writing.  I love it.  It is one of my favorite classes.  To see the growth of the students over the course of the semester, is amazing.  To see the students start out disliking a project, then to see them change their mind is great.  To see an email from a student saying that they were able to use something that we talked about in the previous weeks at their job, makes me smile.

As I write this, tears fill my eyes because I can now see that I had one vision for myself as a college professor, but God had another vision for me.  He thought me worthy of helping to make people better technical writers.


Do not limit yourself, be open to wherever you can go in life.  It could be a better place for you, and you could have a lot of fun on the journey.