Saturday, September 3, 2016

Taking Technical Writing

I remember taking Technical Writing when I was in college some years ago.  That is when I became interested in the genre of writing.  It was intriguing because I could write, as well as use my graphic design skills.

I started by creating a couple of flyers, then we were asked to create a website.  I had a good website, and the professor really liked the work I did in the class.  I cannot remember any of the other Technical Writing classes or assignments, but I remember enjoying the classes.

I wanted to become a technical writer.  I remember telling my father I wanted to minor in Technical Writing.  I am still trying to figure out how my father became my college advisor.  In retrospect, I probably should have used my college resources to the fullest, rather than relying on my father to be everything for me in college.  He was good, but I think I could have received a more object view of my college career from a non-parent.  He did think getting a Technical Writing minor was a good idea.  I am glad, too.

I am now teaching Technical Writing classes.  I think I may be more excited about it than the students may be sometimes.  It is all because I had the Technical Writing minor as part of my Bachelor’s degree.