Sunday, May 20, 2018

Filler & Fluff


Prompt 1: Discuss changing a bad writing habit. What is a bad writing habit you have? Should you change it? Why/Why Not? How do you change it?

-------

What is a bad writing habit I have?  I don’t think I have a bad writing habit.  I probably do, but I don’t remember it because I’ve learned to focus on writing versus focusing on the negative aspects of things.

Here’s one thing I could improve on…
Looking at the word counter in Word.  I need to turn that thing off, but I never do.  It’s both exhilarating and heartbreaking to look at the word count as I write.  it reminds me that I have a goal to meet, but it also nags me when I can’t reach the number count as I type.  Sometimes, the words in my head don’t add up to the number I need, so that number in the lower left-hand corner harasses me until I write more words, meeting the word count, often to the injury of my flow.  I add words that aren’t necessary and don’t add much to the writing.  They’re just filler and fluff.  Filler and fluff can ruin quality writing.

Now mind you, I give my students word count limits for a number of assignments, but I think having a word count limit causes writers to be creative with their word choice, causing them to think about the words they chose.  But, I do allow my students to go over the word count.  My general rule is… Don’t go over double the word or page count limit.  I understand that as you write, inspiration hits and the words flow.

I try to focus on the quality of writing while reaching the word count, I just hate it when the word counter bullies me into having filler & fluff.