Friday, May 18, 2018

I Write... Therefor I Am A Writer...


Prompt 1: Discuss your thoughts on writing in general. How do you feel about writing? How does what you feel about writing compare to what you feel about Technical Writing? Has your view of writing changed as a result of the things you have learned in this class? Why? Why not?

----------

This is a loaded question to ask a writer.  I love writing.  It’s what gets me through a hard day.  It’s what helps me deal with tragedy.  It’s what helps me celebrate joys.  It’s what keeps me sane.  I need writing.

When comparing Creative Writing to Technical Writing, I feel there’s no comparison. Technical Writing doesn’t always allow for creativity with words.  If you must write what the client wants, then you can’t be creative with the words.  The content is usually left up to the client.  Even the artist aspect of Technical Writing is left up to the customer. Here’s a personal example.
Once, I created a brochure or something for my church.  (One of my first experiences with outside work.)  I went full on creative with the project.  When I took it to my pastor, he said, “It’s nice, but it’s not what I wanted.  What about what I want?”  I was hurt because I spent at least 3 hours working on the project.  But… I learned a valuable lesson.  Always seek the client’s input first.

Technical Writing can be limiting creatively.

When comparing Academic Writing to Technical Writing, there is some comparison.  Both require you to follow specific constraints based on the conventions assigned to that genre of writing.  Both require you to follow the instructions given regarding the assignment/project.  Both require you to use language appropriate to the conventions assigned to the genre of writing.  Technical Writing doesn’t limit you to academic language.

My view of writing hasn’t changed much over the years.  But, I have discovered some of my writing pet peeves.  My two biggest apply to classes I teach.
For 1301 & 1302… Using contractions in academic writing.  That irks my nerves.
For 2311… Having unused blank pages.  I can’t stand this.  I take off points for it.  (Now that I think about it.  This effects my 1301 and 1302 classes, too.)

Writing is key to my existence and livelihood, so I tend to take it personal when others don’t take it seriously.  That is hard when you’re an English professor, but I know my students see and understand my passion.

My purpose as an English professor is to create students who don’t hate writing as much when they leave my class as they did when they entered it.  I’ve done that in my short three year career.