Wednesday, May 16, 2018

Taking Technical Writing...

Prompt 1: Discuss how you feel about being a college student taking a Technical Writing class. How do you feel? Why are you taking the course? What are your feelings after two days of class? Is the class what you thought it would be?

----------

I took Technical Writing in college at Tarleton State University.  That's where my love of technical writing began.  I never imagined I would teach Technical Writing, but here I am.

I think this is a class every college student should take because it teaches you how to communicate in a technical way.  When considering communicating in a technical way, here are some things that should be considered: page format, page length, the way the page looks, text formatting, grammar, and mechanics.  Technical Writing goes further than Composition English courses because it teaches students to look at how the document looks as well as how it sounds.  More people will use technical writing in their career than composition.  (Mind you, I teach Composition courses as well.)

I don’t think most students know what to expect when they take this class.  They learn more than they thought at first.  Most of the time, they can use what they learn in class immediately.  That’s what I like about my class.  I teach practical things that you can use instantly.  I think that gives me and the course credibility.

I’m enjoying teaching Technical Writing.