Friday, October 20, 2017

It’s a Process… Baby!

My favorite and most widely used writing tool is the WRITING PROCESS.  I teach it in every English class I teach.  I usually spend a whole lesson, if not class period on it.  This is the most essential tool a writer can have in their arsenal.

The writing process is… prewriting, drafting, editing, revising, and publishing.

The writing process breaks the writing down into bite size pieces that can ease a writer’s anxiety, as well as ensure that they complete the writing assignment in a timely manner.  It also guarantees that all areas of writing will be covered.

I use this tool regularly whenever I write something.  From start to finish, I cover all five steps.  There are times when I combine some steps, but I cover all of them.

Prewriting is a fun step for me.  It has changed since I worked on Master’s Degree because I now include research in all of the writing I do, instead of just academic writing.  I never considered doing research for non-fiction writing, but after working on my Capstone, I realize how important and effective it is.  I’m a big believer in outlining.  It’s where I figure out my story.  I probably go too deep with my outlines, but they work for me.  I have had to revisit my outlines on a couple of occasions, but they are still helpful.

Drafting is a hard step for me.  It requires me to focus, think, drain myself, and turn off my inner editor.  It’s the part of the process that provides a sense of accomplishment for me.

Editing and revising (they should be done separately, but I tend to combine them) are tedious because they require me to reread what I wrote, dissect it, and tear it down to make it better.  It’s hard work annihilating my writing in a way that will make it sound and read better.  Yes, annihilating is a harsh word, but that’s how I feel about editing and revising.

Publishing is enjoyable.  I like having people read my work.  That’s why I write.  One of these days, I’m going to make money from my writing. J


In every profession, there are tools of the trade.  These tools are valuable and should be used.  In writing, there are many tools that can be used.  The Writing Process is a valuable tool to know and use.