Thursday, September 7, 2017

Teaching College Students Tech Writing

What is Technical Writing (Communication)?  "Technical communication is the exchange of information that helps people interact with technology and solve complex problems" (Lannon 3).

What are the kinds of Technical Communications? Instructions, User Manuals, Reports, Memo, Procedures, Letters, etc. (3).


I remember taking Technical Writing as a college student... Long, long ago, in a far away land. :)  It was a fun class for me.  I created a web site, had to revise a document for a major project, and a few other things.  I don't remember much from the class, except that I created a web site and the redesigned project.  But I know I enjoyed the class.

I don't know what the website was about.  The redesigned project was a member handbook for the church I was gong to at the time.  They never used my redesigned book. :(

-------

I wonder if in 20+ years, will my students remember anything they learned or did in my Tech Writing class?  #nowifeelold


I hope they do.  I hope they remember that I taught them that they can be creative even when following a required format.  I hope they remember that being a Technical Writer can be fun.  I hope they remember that writing is hard work, but worth it.  I hope they remember that good writing comes from practice.

Even if they only remember an assignment or two for the class, I hope taking this class was well worth it for them.  It was for me.  Because I took Technical Writing, I'm now teaching Technical Writing.  Yay! for a minor in Technical Writing.  It got me a job!


Works Cited


Lannon, John M., and Laura J. Gurak. Technical Communication. 14th ed. Boston: Pearson, 2016. Print.