Thursday, September 14, 2017

Technical Writing Skills

Technical Writing is an important skill for professionals.  Most people don't think about being a technical writer, but, many of them it.  When writing memos, emails, and other communication used on a job, it is technical writing.  So, learning a little about how to write technical documents is key for every employee.

Technical Writing is one of the reasons I was hired at one of the colleges I teach at.  The dean saw that I had a Tech Writing minor, and my resume caught her attention.  I got the minor because it was a way for me to take computer classes.  I never imagined it would get me hired.

I often encourage my students to add technical writing as a skill on their resume.  I feel that it gives them an advantage that most other applicants don’t have.  I think any advantage you can have when getting your resume viewed helps.


I also encourage my students to display their work from the class in their e-portfolios.  This also showcases their talents.